Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tragedy and Pearls

Today is 9/11. Everyone is remembering in their own way. Some wear black. Some light candles. A co-worker of mine wears a business suit in our business casual environment to honor those lost.

I wear pearls.

Years, ago, I attended a church service after the Lockerbie tragedy. The priest gave the most profound sermon about, of all things, pearls.

In order for a beautiful pearl to exist, an irritant must somehow get into an oyster. To protect itself, the oyster covers that irritant with layers and layers of nacre. The nacre creates a beautiful pearl.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/zoology/marine-life/question630.htm

No matter how beautiful a pearl is, the irritant will always be there.

As I wear my pearls today, I am reminded of the horrible tragedy as well as the outpouring of love and support and hope that came in the minutes, hours, days and years after.

No comments: