I know a lot of you are thinking, "Wait, it's boxing day."
Well, since it has been over 200 years since we have been a part of the British empire, I'll return to "Thank You Note Day."
As my friends and family know, I'm a big fan of the "thank you" note. Yes, it's a bit old fashioned but let me build a case in support of sending Thank You Notes.
- First, there's an actual day for it. :-)
- Second, the person who gave you the gift knows you received it (especially if they let Amazon.com do the wrapping and shipping).
- Third, people still LOVE receiving notes in the mail. (Yes, an email thank you note is becoming more and more accepted but you are better than that.)
- Finally, it's a simple and easy exercise in gratitude.
You have never written a thank you note before? Lucky for you there there are excellent resources to get you started:
- Thank You Note Samples
- Modern Thank You Note Etiquette (from Design Sponge)
- Appropriate Thank You Notes (from Emily Post, for all you hard core Etiquette people)
- About.com Thank You Note Tips
Today, start with writing 1 thank you note. Then after, write 1 note each day until you have written to your last "benefactor."
Just like any new activity, keep at it and eventually your "thank you note muscle" will be nice and strong for the next time you receive a gift.