Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

"The First Draft is Never the Final Draft"

I just started reading the October 2012 issue of the Oprah magazine. I got to the "The Question" section where readers send in their response to a monthly question. This month's question was, "What's the best advice you've ever received?"

As I was reading each response, I thought of a few of the rich nuggets I've received. "Don't ask how. Allow" from my friend, Alyssa. I always remember this when I question the good things that happen. "Fall off the horse. You get right back on" from my Grandpa. I never really got that one until I actually fell off of a horse and heard his voice telling me to get back on that horse, literally.

Then, the I got to Jan Weeks' response, "The first draft is never the final draft." That quote rocked my world. 

For the past few weeks I have been toying with the idea of getting back into the professional organizing game. It seems crazy after I had tried once and it didn't work out but something is pulling me there.

In the context of, "The first draft isn't the final draft" trying my hand at getting back to professional organizing doesn't seem so crazy after all. The first attempt was just a first draft. Now I can play with this new draft and see where it leads.
I then got to thinking about other areas in my life that seem "final," like my seemingly stalled weight loss. Instead of accepting that this is the way things are, I can tweak things in a 2nd or 3rd or 10th draft until I get it just right.

Where in your life can you start writing the next draft?

No comments: