Pages

Friday, November 24, 2017

Podcast Transcript - Episode 1 - Small Business Saturday - Decadence Row Edition

Small Business Saturday – Long Beach Decadence Row Edition - November 24, 2017

Hello everyone! This is Jax from The Jaxtastic Life. We kick off this initial podcast with Small Business Saturday – Long Beach Decadence Row edition.

Before I jump in, time for full disclosure. I have not been paid by any of these businesses. I’m a customer and fan.

Decadence Row? Just what is decadence row. It’s the unofficial name of the shops on Pine Avenue in downtown Long Beach creating and selling sweet treats and incredible indulgences.

We kick things off with the OG of Decadence Row, Mabel’s Pralines. This was the first place I visited when I moved to Long Beach 9 years ago. Mabel’s pralines are the creamiest most delicious pralines I have ever had. They are the star of our annual tree trimming party and husband and they were in our wedding favor box for our guests.

Next, we move to The Pie Bar. My husband and I discovered this gem during our walks past the storefront seeing it being built and quickly found their Instagram account. My next delight came when I saw the application for their beer & wine license posted on their window. I had fun imagining all the possible beer and wine and pie combinations: stout and chocolate pie, bubbly and peach. Since the opening, just a little over the year ago, I have had the delight to meet Laurie, the owner and several members of her team like Stephanie the lead baker (Go Kings Go!). They are turning out amazing whole pies, pies by the slice, hand pies and cutie pies. This last Christmas, we featured the peppermint pie and s’mores cutie pies at our tree trimming party for the first time.

Onto the next place for sweets, Romeo Chocolates. I had the pleasure of meeting Romeo and his team at a pop-up at The Pie Bar. An amazing collection of chocolates were presented and my husband and I took home a selection and enjoyed every single bite. I immediately started following Romeo Chocolates on Instagram. My joy increased when I learned a storefront was opening just two doors down from The Pie Bar. We’ve been enjoying artisanal Belgian chocolate ever since the opening just a few months ago.

Finally, the newest addition of the decadence row collection…Saints and Sinners Bake Shop. Again, it was fun following the progress of the construction on walks on Pine Avenue and following their Instagram account. We were drawn in to our first Saturday morning visit by a seductive Friday night picture of cinnamon rolls prepped to proof for the morning baking. On Saturday morning we were rewarded with warm cinnamon rolls with oooey gooey cream cheese frosting. If that wasn’t enough awesomeness, the coffee barista made a baby Groot foam decoration on my latte. Seriously, a baby Groot!!! 

On this Small Business Saturday, visit Decadence Row on Pine Avenue in Long Beach to purchase gifts and sweets for your self.

A transcription of this podcast and links to all of the businesses can be found on The Jaxtastic Life blog where we explore living and creating your you-tastic life.

No comments: