Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Gift of an Injury and Turning off the Auto-Pilot

A few weeks ago I had pain in my shoulder and surrounding area and well I was in denial. I was on auto-pilot and just living through the pain thinking that it would go away.

Three weeks went by and the pain was still there. After some personal research about the timing of when the pain began I figured out that I had pulled muscles around my shoulder attempting a new exercise.

Starting with yesterday's workout, I lightened up on the intensity and was gentle with myself. As I approached my day with the same gentle spirit and paid attention to my posture and how my shoulder felt.

About half-way through the day I realized, that I had been more present in this half-day than I had been in the past week.

Basically, I had turned off the auto-pilot.

I was a bit sad that it took an injury to slow down a little and be a bit more present in my day. Now, I'm thankful for the gift of this injury that helped me slow down and turn off the auto-pilot. And, the pain around my shoulder is almost gone. Quelle surprise!!!

Don't wait for an injury to turn off the auto-pilot. Take the time to slow down and be present in your day.

No comments: